Your resume is always under construction. Creating your own winning resume can take up to 30 hours.
Your main or generic resume acts as a foundation on which to build job specific resumes.
Steps to Develop Your Generic Resume
- education, employment history, volunteer involvement, professional development, memberships, hobbies
and interests, references
Decide Which Qualifications to Emphasize
- strongest qualifications closest to beginning of resume
Choose a Resume Format
Write a Draft
- Short and to the point .
- Visually appealing and easy to read .
- Highlight accomplishments, abilities and transferrable skills.
- Supply your name, address, phone number, e-mail address.
- List references, including name, title, address, phone, fax and e-mail address if available. Be sure
to contact your references in advance for permission to put their name on your resume.
- Be honest - do not misrepresent yourself.
- Check for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Edit - the resume should be 1 - 2 pages.
- Print on good quality white or cream paper.